Iran visa on arrival (VOA) or Iran airport visa, refers to a special class of short term touristic visa that can be applied for at some of the major Iran’s gates of entry, like Tehran Imam Khomeini airport (IKA), Shiraz, Isfahan, Tabriz, Mashhad, and Kish international airport. Despite many travelers information, getting the visa on arrival in Iran especially in the airports are really easy and almost possible for everyone (according to published statics). The process of getting a 30-day Iran visa on arrival in Tehran has been going on for almost two years now. The process is very easy and clear, and also it’s possible to extend it even more easily at immigration offices in all the big cities for another 14 to 30 days depend on the case.
Impotant note:The most important and first thing to check is to make sure you are among the countries that are eligible to apply for visa at Iran’s airports. According to the last update released early in 2017 by the Iran’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, except for the nationals mentioned below, the rest of the countries are eligible to apply for Iran visa on arrival at all the international airports:
US, UK, Israel, Canada, Colombia, Somalia, Bangladesh, Jordan, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and India.
Where can you get Iran VOA?
Iran visa on arrival has 14-30 days validity and issued currently at the six airport & ports in Iran. The number of these gateways are in rise and hopefully soon you might be able to get your Visa on arrival at any point of entry. But for now these are the airports/ports that you issue visa on arrival for tourism related travels to Iran on a case by case base.
- IKA: Tehran Imam Khomeini International Airport
- THR: Mehrabad International Airport
- MHD: Mashhad International Airport
- SYZ: Shiraz International Airport
- TBZ: Tabriz International Airport
- ISF: Isfahan International Airport
- BND: Bandare Abbas Port.
- Shahid Bahonar Harbor, Bandare Abbas
- KIH: Kish international Airport
Iran Visa on Airport Requirements and Documents
- A valid passport with at least 6 months validity;
- A photo to be attached to the Iran visa application form. Two passport size pictures is enough. Recently visa officers are using digital camera to take the needed pictures but still, having your own pictures make the process easier and faster;
- Visa fee in cash, which is payable to the Iran Visa & Passport Office at the airport. Iran airport visa fee depends on the applicant’s nationality. At the moment it’s somewhere around 70$, but it may slightly different according to the travelers nationality;
- A confirmed return ticket would be a peace of mind. There are lots of travelers who are not sure about their plan and apply for the visa without a return ticket, and it’s almost always fine. But if you have a rigid plan, it would be better to have your return ticket reservation at the first point;
- A travel insurance to get your visa for Iran (does not matter what kind of visa) is needed. To be accepted at the time of issuing your visa, it’s necessary that your insurance policy state the insurance is valid for Iran.Also you can buy it at the IKIA airport (5 Euro per week), but we recommend to purchase it online in advance(try SOS international) , cause VOA is a time consuming process itself.
- On case by case bases sometime an invitation letter or hotel reservation voucher is asked for. You can ask for an invitation letter from an Iranian travel agency or friend to be confirmed at Iran Ministry of Foreign Affairs at least 48 hours before your arrival to Iran airport(It’s pretty easy), or simply show your hostel reservation or voucher to the officer.
Who can NOT get Iran VOA
- Travelers who have been rejected for Iran visa previously will not receive Iran visa on arrival.
- Journalists and reporters on mission cannot get Iran visa on arrival.
- Iranian nationals holding other nationality’s passport are not allowed to get Iran visa on arrival.
- Iran visa on arrival is issued for tourist purposes only (ordinary passport). Diplomatic passport, official passports, etc. cannot apply for this type of Iran visa.
- Travelers from: US, UK, Israel, Canada, Colombia, Somalia, Bangladesh, Jordan, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and India